Welcome to my world!

Welcome to my world!

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Yum Yum Good! Final Morning Breakfast at Maxwell Food Centre, Singapore

"Nobody in Singapore drinks Singapore Slings. It's one of the first things you find out there. What you do in Singapore is eat. It's a really food-crazy culture, where all of this great food is available in a kind of hawker-stand environment." Anthony Bourdain


Internationally famous, the Maxwell Food Centre was featured in that episode on Travel Channel. It is located a mere two or three blocks from my two accommodations in Chinatown, Hotel 1929 and the Duxton Hotel in Tanjong Pagar

There is much to select from here! Such a variety of choices had me grinning from ear-to-ear. Seemingly zillions of juice stands and healthy Chinese soups, Malay dishes galore! This is good old fashioned Mom-and-Pop Asian fast food with that home-style touch that leaves one satisfied -and wanting more. 

I stopped by here early in the morning on my final day. It was roughly 7:30 a.m., a bit early since many of the stalls were not open. Dark clouds hung in the sky, signaling that long-awaited rain was on its way. I wanted something hot but not overwhelming. I was not looking for 'Western' breakfast fare since I could always get that after my (not very desired) return to the USA. 



The Maxwell Food Centre is very conveniently located at a busy intersection in Chinatown. Its location near Hotel 1929 and the Duxton was perfect for my wants and needs. 




As it was early in the morning (though 7:30 a.m. is late for me!) many of the stands that line both sides of the public eating area were still closed. Ye there were a few stands open for those early-birds who need a savoring get-up-and-go homestyle breakfast. Hooray for me!



I sampled a couple of pork buns from this place. How were they? Delicious, fresh and healthy! I knew my breakfast adventure was off to good start. 





After a little more wandering among the hawker stands I decided on this wonderful combo. This is 'bird-in-a-bag' as I was told. It is cooked in a soft bag. The bird -quail? chicken? not sure- was incredibly tender, the juices pleasantly aromatic yet not overwhelming. I also enjoyed two prawn dumplings with a can of sugar cane juice for a little energy pick-me-up.

I never had a bad meal at the Maxwell Food Centre. Along with the food and juice stands, the hawkers and local customers were both helpful and charming. The hawkers who cook day in and day out as they have for years, even generations, are the heart and soul of Singapore. Long may they reign supreme!

Maxwell Food Centre is one of THE BEST of Singapore's hawker centers. This is what fabulous fast-food ought to be!

During my Singapore adventures I visited a nice variety of such food havens. Each has its own personality so do not ask me to judge one from the other. Maxwell Food Centre's location in Tanjong Pagar, Chinatown and near the central business district makes this culinary delight a must-see-and-savor destination.

Will I be back? You betcha!









No comments:

Post a Comment