Welcome to my world!

Welcome to my world!

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Part One: Fun in the Sun Island-hopping Singapore's St. John's, Lazarus, and Kusu Islands.

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different."  
Coco Chanel

(Pictured above are my favorite irreplaceable tractor trash: Singapore-based travel-bloggers Hoh Siow Har, Darren Ng and abandoned tractor. They taught me that 'cam-whoring' is a many splendored thing.)


One of the first things you notice about Singaporeans is that they work long hours, often six days a week. Indeed, there is a Singaporean work ethic! Everyone works. Everyone. One quote I found sums it up. "The state's attitude can be simply put: Being poor here is your own fault. Citizens are obliged to save for the future, rely on their families and not expect any handouts from the government unless they hit rock bottom."

So, it really is no wonder that the Lion City has rapidly emerged as one of the most important business and financial centers of Asia, if not the world.

In the USA my siblings and I grew up in Southern New England, in Greenwich, Connecticut. New York City was not far away at all. Working such hours is routine, and throw in the ever-changing seasons things are complicated at the very least.

My point? We have something very much in common. Leisure time is a valuable commodity. We all have a need to recharge our batteries, so to speak.

When you are blessed with the company of good friends in a new, relatively unexplored setting then the enjoyment-level increases.

With that said, ladies and gentlemen, please put your seats and tray tables in the upright position, and prepare for take-off.

Why? March 9, 2014 was a day I shall hopefully not forget, and -I confess- I hated to see end.

Let me start by inviting you to click this link to Travel-blogger Darren Ng's SAFRA blog. It's terrific. You'll love it. I was there!

What you are about to hear from me is the behind-the-scenes story on this Singaporean magical island-hopping tour. This would turn out to be one of the most hilarious travel adventures I'd been on in years. No holds barred.

Darren and I were out the night before. After a spicy hot dinner in Bugis (click here) we ventured to Marina Bay Sands to see the light show near the ArtScience Museum. Later, Darren extended an invitation to get together the next morning.

By the smile on his face I was going on an adventure, you know, the kind the tourists are not privy to. Oh, goody!

"Meet at the Marina Bay MRT at 8:00 a.m.," Darren texted. I was to bring something to wear swimming and a towel. Given how hot it was I was delighted to go for a swim.

I arrived at the MRT station. It was like a cavern. It was also empty. It was cold, too. I loved that! I found the ticket counter per Darren's instructions and waited.

Out of nowhere a woman approached me. She looked uncannily familiar. "Hi! I'm Hoh Siow Har!" 



I recognized her as travel blogger whose adventures thither and yon I had been following for some time. Here is Siow Har's travel blog. 

She and Darren are good friends, photographers and occasional travel buddies. Her warmth, zest for life and travel is infectious. Energy level? Off the scale, thank you very much! We clicked instantly.

Honestly, by the time we emerged from the station I felt as if I had met up with an old friend I'd not heard from in years.

The day was just starting. When Siow Har and I reached the street-level the heat belted me in the face.

Hells bells, who needed coffee after being slapped around like that? I was still adjusting to the time-change and seventeen hours of flying from Hawaii and Japan, too.

One observation about the MRT station: it was in the middle of nowhere in a field of burned out grass on reclaimed land. The most enduring drought in Singapore's previous 154 years had taken its toll.

Siow Har was sending and receiving text messages from Darren. We were to proceed to a nearby street corner at the intersection of Central Blvd. and Marina Station Road.

We did. We waited. A few minutes later Darren waved at us from a taxi. Siow Har and I bounded back between both sides of the street.

Shhhhhhh! We might have violated a pedestrian law or two. I'll take full responsibility, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. If anything it will prove that chivalry is not dead by any means. ;)

Siow Har and I boarded the taxi. We strapped ourselves in. Darren was co-pilot riding shotgun in the front passenger seat. An elder gentleman was our driver. Off we zoomed!

That's when the fun started to unfold...

Click here for Part Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment