Welcome to my world!

Welcome to my world!

Monday, April 7, 2014

Lights, Camera, Hawker! Chinatown Food Street Pays Off

When it comes to culinary happiness in Singapore I believe that it is best attained at the hawker food stands. 

Sure, I've enjoyed a Malaysian-styled lunch at the Raffles Hotel, savored unparalleled steaks at New York City's Delmonico's as well as the buffet luncheon at the United Nations Delegates Dining Room, and a picnic on the sands of Waikiki Beach, Hawaii. But Singapore's hawkers are renowned in a class all their own. 

I wandered around Chinatown Food Street. In doing so I observed that the hawkers took a great deal of pleasure in carrying on their time-honored traditions for people like you and me. Some went further. Every activity behind their countertops and displays showed an artistic audacity I rarely see elsewhere. Many smiled for the cameras, including mine. They were not mere cooks; these hawker proprietors were artists of a tradition that spans generations. Determined? Dauntless? Enterprising? This is Singapore, after all. I would expect nothing less. 


The sun was setting. It was edible showtime! The fun was about to begin!





While the sign says 'Chinatown Food Street,' the official name of this shophouse-framed boulevard of delectable delights is (drum roll please...) Smith Street. 



I arrived a bit early. This is looking out towards South Bridge Road. It rained for the first time in over two months marking the longest dry spell in over 154 years, according to local news reports. 



Chinatown Food Street was recently renovated. The project cost millions, and this avenue of cuisine opened just before my arrival in February. Note the overhanging ceiling canopies above. 




The skies cleared from earlier torrents of rain. The infamous 'haze' from Sumatra was washed away for the time being. Tables began to fill quickly with locals and tourists alike. There was clearly an air of celebration. Indeed, this was the best culinary block party I'd been to in years. 



I was told that visitors could select from twenty-four hawker stalls and a half-dozen restaurants in converted shophouses. 






After wandering around and around I decided on this one.





The ingredients were laid out as seen here. I made my choices to the hawkers, who got to work immediately. 



My fellow Americans? Do you know what it means to 'Q Here'? 



I personally enjoyed walking around and savoring the diversity of delights at all of the restaurants and hawker stands. Each was unique just like the people who run them. Likewise, it was fun getting up close and conversational with the hawkers who clearly enjoy what they do best!

.



Meet the hawker who personally cooked my dinner! Friendly and gregarious, we had an enjoyable time chatting while he prepared my dinner. 




And here it is! Fast, easy and oh so good! I was delighted! 

I loved the atmosphere of this urban food paradise. True, it felt like a hawker center, but the concept here was festive. The tables are all opening seating, so you rarely sit alone. It was for me a great way to meet other visitors and local residents alike. 

The food here is, by many accounts, more expensive than Maxwell Food Centre, the Chinatown Food Complex and other hawker locations nearby. Chinatown Food Street is mainly frequented by tourists and visitors. So is Clark Quay; I preferred this place overall. 

Though I only came here once I recommend it to you foodie types out there. Still, I was impressed with the quality of the food, the speed by which my dinner was cooked, and the laughs, smiles and conversation I enjoyed with the hawkers. 

The sounds of sizzling flavorful goodies combined with the bustling of people chatting over dinner lent itself to a fine experience. Entertaining, fascinating, scrumptious and engaging, Chinatown Food Street had it all for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment