Welcome to my world!

Welcome to my world!

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Part Four: Fun in the Sun Island-hopping Singapore's St. John's, Lazarus, and Kusu Islands


"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer. This is one of Lazarus Island's Welcome Wagon Kitties. 




Lazarus Island lay before Darren Ng, Hoh Siow Har and I as we bid adieu to our tractor (see Part Three of our magical mystery island tour). The process of crossing from one island to the other was a relatively simple one, thanks in large part to a manmade land bridge. 

As we crossed  the land bridge I noticed people engaged in fishing, all waving hello to us as we passed by. It felt so calm. Such lovely people!

My first impression of Lazarus Island was that it was much more forested than St. John's. The island felt placid and peaceful. The waters were relatively clear, too. 

We encountered a small beach which, while certainly scenic, was something of a disappointment. The sand for some reason seemed to be packed down quite heavily. That made for discomfort if we were to sit there for any length of time. Trust me; I live in Hawaii, USA, and we know good beaches when we see them. 


We would be pleasantly surprised by what we would discover on the other side of this ridge of trees - welcomed reprieve from the heat and humidity.

But first there was one matter to be taken care of. It was lunch time. 


As we inspected and searched the area for a picnic site this black cat appeared. The area was crowded with construction equipment, too. This cat was quite persistent. His eyes were piercing!

The black cat pictured above acted as an observant picnic manager. He was soon joined by a growing army of Hello Kitties who emerged from the forest around us. 

One of the things I look for in a public eating experience is how well the locals are welcoming. There was no doubt in our minds that the kitty army on patrol was particularly delighted to see us. They were attentive and more than happy to display their friendliness. 

Welcome to the Lazarus Island Concrete Slab-by-the-Sea Picnic Spot! Golfer Jack Nicklaus is quoted as saying, "People don't want to go to the dump and have a picnic, they want to go out to a beautiful place and enjoy their day. And so I think our job is to try and take the environment, take what the Good Lord has given us, and expand upon it or enhance it, without destroying it." 

The Good Lord works in mysterious ways -and He provided! Who were we to refuse? 


Siow Har took this photo of Darren and I enjoying the rigid, unyielding ambiance the concrete ground below our butts afforded us. The mats we parked under our behinds lent a special feeling that was very welcoming and responsive -in its own uniquely rigid, stony way. 

Not only was this my first time visiting Lazarus Island, it was also the first time I ever experienced a picnic lunch at a construction site in all of Asia! Shiok, man! 




As there were no staff to wait on us hand-and-foot we were left to fend for ourselves. Lazarus Island is definitely BYOL (Bring Your Own Lunch). 

Thanks to Siow Har, who brought homemade sandwiches, apples and other edible goodies for us, we enjoyed an atmosphere of good fun, frivolity and convivial conversation. 

Xie-xie, Siow Har, for the sandwiches and other healthy foods! It was perfect for the hot weather we were all experiencing. 

Darren's smartphone provided a conglomeration of musical selections. By the way, he's a big Debbie Gibson fan! The neighborhood kitties serenaded us with a chorus of meows unmatched anywhere! 

The Lazarus Island Concrete Slab-by-the-Sea Picnic Spot provides self-service diners with an uncommon, unexampled and other-islandly setting that is surely second-to-none. 

No traffic! No congestion! No crowds! No sand between our toes -or other awkward, embarrassing spots! I was in heaven. 

The preeminent element of this dining setting was how calming the nearby placid waters and the tranquility the forest that framed the backdrop combined to provide us with a nature-inspired decor that is most unusual in Singapore. We passed up the nearby beach; we're snobs, what can I say? No regrets though. 

This was a truly memorable visit. I'd recommend this charming neck of the woods for romantic getaways, dreamy family gatherings, feral cat enthusiasts, picturesque business retreats, heck, go solo if you are feeling adventuresome! 

Finally, the Lazarus Island Concrete Slab-by-the-Sea Picnic Spot is an undiscovered gem. It's open and secured at the same time. Try it out soon! I heard that the Sentosa Island developers will be making some changes to this island soon. I suspect that sooner or later there will be a waiting list. Hurry, hurry!







The three of us were genuinely moved by Mr. Kitty, the one with the piercing eyes who was the first to extend greetings to us. Darren, ever a friend to animals everywhere, shared a portion of his edible bounty. (This image would haunt me exactly one week later after news of a failed cat rescue on Bitam Island and a resulting fractured shoulder reached me). 

We bid our new-found cat compatriots fond salutations and departed for more cam-whoring fun and island exploration. 

As we rounded a bend in the road before us it did not take long for Siow Har and Darren to discover another setting for photo fun! 

Henry Miller is quoted as saying, "The moment one gives close attention to any thing, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself."  

Well, we found more dry, dead blades of grass than anyone would know what to do with. There goes to Good Lord again! What a provider! Once again an out-of-the-box setting for more posing and cam-whoring presented an opportunity we could not pass up. 

"When in doubt, wear red." Bill Blass


"The most important thing to remember is that you can wear all the greatest clothes and all the greatest shoes, but you’ve got to have a good spirit on the inside. That’s what’s really going to make you look like you’re ready to rock the world." Alicia Keys


"Look gorgeous whenever, wherever." Marie Claire. And have fun, of course. 


I was asked to pose as a "tough guy." Here's my attempt. By the way, I would learn later on that I was standing on a paved roadway -and that the surrounding grasslands was inhabited by snakes. Uh oh! 


"I live for myself and answer to nobody." Steve McQueen


"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous." I'd like to think Coco Chanel would have been pleased. 


I admit that I was a bit astounded at how tall the grass was. I am five feet, ten inches tall. This was another attempt as posing as a tough guy. I need practice. 

You'll notice that my complexion was becoming abundantly redder. The area we were taking photos of each other was dry and hot. It was time to go. 

A welcomed reprieve would lay just around the corner -much to our delight and relief! 

Ready?





I am not sure who was more elated by this, me or Darren and Siow Har. This reminded me of any off-the-beaten-path beach on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. But to my two travel-blogger tractor trash friends this was quite a delightful discovery. For those of you who call Singapore home a scene like this, to state it mildly, is quite out of character for the Lion City. 



Darren wasted no time running over to the beach and the gentle waves that washed ashore. Several private boats were moored in the distance. Notice how empty the beach is! Siow Har and Darren would remark that Singaporeans were no where to be seen -which is unfortunate. 



I think Darren's face expresses our exhilarated sentiments best. All three of us immediately threw ourselves into the waves! 

But first...




"If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun." Katharine Hepburn


"I'm king of the beach!" 



I admit that when I saw this picture I was a bit mortified. Since mid-December I've been shedding excess pounds. By the time I departed Singapore I had lost more weight, much to my delight -a process that still continues! The key to my increase in health and decrease in weight is tied to giving up processed foods as much as possible. 

The ocean had an enthralling, refreshing effect on us. We splashed around, smiled as the soothing waters cooled us from the oppressive heat during this unusual time of drought. We felt free, jubilant, cheerful and gratified. We were on a  nearly-empty beach in a city-state more known for its busy port and its towering skyscrapers. It was all quite ironic -and we savored ever moment of it we could. 

Whatever cares and worries we carried in the recesses of our emotions seemed light-years away. All this combined with the company of good friends made it all worthwhile. It started to dawn on me that this day would be one that I'd hope I'd never forget. 

On our way back we noticed that low tide exposed these mangrove roots, so some last-minute photo-fun was in order. 

 



We packed up our belongings and headed back to the pier on St. John's Island. Darren was particularly happy to the point he played music from his smartphone and even treated Siow Har and I to a dance! 

Well, I happened to have an American dollar bill in my wallet, so I tried to tip Darren! If I came to you and tried to insert a dollar bill on your waist-band would you refuse? Ha ha ha ha! What a good sport this guy is! I got my dollar back, we all shared a good laugh and continued on our journey. 

Our final island destination, Kusu Island, as next on our adventure. While we enjoyed lots of fun and frivolity on our first two islands, Kusu would take us back in time and in touch with ancient traditions in a revered, sacred island setting. Stay tuned for the next chapter in our island-hopping adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment