Welcome to my world!

Welcome to my world!

Monday, March 9, 2015

Oceans of Smiles and Cultures Sparkle at the 2015 Honolulu Festival in Hawaii



Inside the cavernous expanses of the Hawaii Convention Center I could hear the sounds of obon songs fill the air. Participants, clad in yukata or light cotton kimonos sang and chanted in celebration of those who came before and who went off to the Other World. It was a fitting introduction to the festivities I had come to see at the annual 2015 Honolulu Festival. 

The festival was founded as a lively cultural exchange, an event that promotes  "understanding, economic cooperation and ethnic harmony between the people of Hawaii and the Pacific Rim region." The majority of those coming to Honolulu from abroad are from Japan, literally thousands. Yet others from all around the Asia-Pacific Rim come. In case you did not know it, this part of the globe features colorful cultures and civilizations thousands of years old.  


Artisans, dancers, all ambassadors of their home cultures and counties come to share. They come from Japan, Australia, Tahiti, Philippines, Taiwan, Korea, Hawaii and the rest of the United States of America. 


Oh, and did I mention that it is all free and open to the public? Now I have -which means that in March, 2016 you must come! 


While North America and Northeastern Asia continued to be socked with snow, ice and other forms of inclement weather we were treated to a traditional grand parade down Waikiki's main thoroughfare, Kalakaua Avenue, a parade that is colorful, delighting the eye with wonders and seas of smiling performers to behold. 





So, without further delay I share my experiences at this year's gatherings. Enjoy!


This was a very impressive bon dance located at the entrance to the convention center. 



We enjoyed the beauty and traditions from the Mariko Takafuji Dance Company. They are from Kanazawa city in Japan. This was their first time in twenty years performing in Hawaii. 















I really liked these Asian-inspired table lanterns. The paper panels all had an attractive, textured look. They fold up for easy transport! Each was for sale at US$20. A perfect gift! I'll take one!


This display showed how the Honolulu Festival was celebrated and changed throughout the years. 



Grrrrrrrr! The children really loved this. They could climb inside and slide out between the dinosaur's legs. I am sure it made their parents very happy, too. 
















Believe it or not, yes, I did give this taiko drum a try. Trust me when I say that I am no expert. Fortunately no one else was in the room. I did get a quick workout though. 


























































No comments:

Post a Comment