Welcome to my world!

Welcome to my world!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Landmarks, Finding Directions and the Pinnacle at Duxton

Yesterday I posted my comments about Singapore Chinatown's boutique accommodation Hotel 1929. In this photo I mentioned that the area was lined with historic shophouses.


It does not take a rocket scientist to note that the large -very large- apartment building dominating the skyline is not a shophouse. If you noticed this right away you have my hearty congratulations! I am proud of you!



That gigantic behemoth apartment building is known at the Pinnacle@Duxton. I was informed that what you are seeing -all fifty floors with sky gardens- is the largest public housing complex in the world. 

The Pinnacle looks rather out of place in this photo. True. But believe it or not it served a very useful purpose. Let me explain.

Overall, Singapore is quite flat. I came from Hawaii, USA, specifically the Island of Oahu and the city of Honolulu. On Oahu in particular residents do not tell directions by North, South, East or West as done in most places. Blessed with the Koolau mountains and the Waianae mountains, and surrounded by the Pacific Ocean, residents tell directions by:

-Mauka: towards the mountains.
-Makai: towards the sea.
-Ewa: West bound.
-Diamond Head: West bound. If you are east of Diamond Head Crater then you use Koko Head Crater, which is near the easternmost tip of Oahu.

For years this is how I have followed directions. Singapore does not have mountain ranges. Large or distinctive buildings such as this one to gain my bearings. Even with a map in hand it was easy to get confused. Then again I was fairly new to town. 

One more thing. The term 'public housing' in the USA refers to government-owned apartment buildings for the poor. There is a certain income threshold for qualification.

This is not the case in Singapore. Most of the residential buildings are developed by the Housing and Development Board (HDB). Apartments are suited for individuals and families of all income levels. The Pinnacle is unique in that it comprised seven interconnected fifty-story towers totaling 1,848 apartment units. They can be purchased. The seven towers that comprise the Pinnacle@Duxton are the world's tallest public housing buildings. They also include two of the largest sky gardens, which are located on the 26th and 50th stories.









No comments:

Post a Comment